commons-dev mailing list archives

From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 08:00:48 GMT
Yikes. A mountain of email.

I've not seen any discussion about how Peter's -1 should be taken? It
seems that in a normal comitter only project, the -1 would lead to
discussion, if still not resolved it would lead to argument and then to
breaking away and forking etc.

However Peter is not actively coding this component (or at least isn't a
driving force on it) and assuming his -1 to be a complaint with the
release/feature change, how should it be resolved?

I don't think the only answer should be that members of the Commons
community have no input on project's they're not actively involved in,
the idea of the community being involved is an interesting experiment.

But how should disagreemnt be dealt with? And how will we handle the
system as more committers are added? With somethign like Cactus, I assume
that the committers to Cactus still remain in Commons, so the committers
base will increase with more sub-components. How does this scale?

When a sub-component is branched off as a top level project, should it
resort to a normal Jakarta voting style, or continue to use the previous
one? If Digester splits as a new Jakarta project, do the members of
Commons still vote?

And lastly, what happened to the release? Is it still waiting on the -1
being resolved in another thread?

Bay