commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:25:26 GMT
Geir Magnusson wrote:

> Costin, I trust your work on the servlet container.
>
> That doesn't mean I trust you with everything.  To be frank, I do trust you
> with most things you choose to participate in, but it's not because you are
> a 'Jakarta Committer'.  It's because I know you and your work.
>
> Similarly, I don't know what (or if) you trust me for (I doubt you use
> Velocity :), but if there was something, I wouldn't expect it was because I
> am a 'Jakarta Committer'.

There was a period of time when I was darn near the only committer in Ant.
While I am still listed as a bona fide committer to that subproject, and
still commit directly on rare occasions when I feel fairly confident of
what change is required, I more often tell people of issues, and would even
consider sending a patch to be discussed.

I believe I am trusted by that community not because of my technical
expertise, but because of my judgement.  In other words, I can generally be
trusted to not express a binding vote on matters that others clearly know
more about than I do.  And I have a track record of participating in the
solutions when I do express a vote.

I have worked along side Costin on Tomcat 3.x..  To my knowledge he has no
specific expertise in SOAP or in the Axis code base.  If he had a change he
wanted to make there, I would trust his judgement.  Besides, I know the cvs
commands to back out a change.  ;-)

On the other hand, if (hypothetically) Costin wanted to veto a change in
axis that Glen Daniels (the most active committer at the present time)
thought was important, I'm not sure what I would do.

This discussion has challenged a number of assumptions that I have had for
a while.  I'm not sure that I have yet formulated a clear new world view.

- Sam Ruby