commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: Problems with commons-logging
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:16:51 GMT
Morgan,

It looks like your reading of my posts is as incomplete as Tim's.
I am going to quote myself a bit from a posting in this thread
some days ago:

 (3) There is a class-loader based implementation for the logger
     factory (2) that tries to find out which API is available. This
     is not good for some applications but is quite practical for
     others and IMHO should be available.
      - You can configure via API what are your most favorite and
        less favorite logging APIs and the discovery process will
        follow that order;
      - You can set a "minimum common denominator" configuration
        that works for any of the APIs available (e.g.: all the big
        3 accept logging to a file with rotating file names).

See? The essential of the idea is to be able to configure which is
the most favorite and less favorite logger and tell it to log to a
file with a given name.

Velocity (the "component" I know better) is much easier to use
because it does something like this.

Even the guys that do not really know what logging is and how it
works, get the advantage of Velocity logging with minimal trouble.
Most of them do not even now how it got there but still use it to
understand to debug their templates.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar