commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: commons dbcp or pool problems
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:31:53 GMT
Hi,

>> >yesterday, just out of curiosity I conducted some simple benchmark test
>> >which measured how many pages per second can a client retrieve.
>> >
>> >the client was a simple java program which requested pages from a given
>url
>> >in a loop and then calculated the numbers. all network delays were
>eliminated
>> >just by running it on the same computer, which is PII 350, running win
>NT.
>> >
>> >first I gave it an url of jsp page served by tomcat 3.2. the maximum I
>got was 90 pages/sec
>> >then I gave it an url of jsp page served by resin: 196 pages/sec
>> >on tomcat 4.0 it was: 189 pages/second
>> >then I gave it an url of php page: 95 pages/sec
>> >and finally I tested static html page served by apache: 208 pages/sec
>> >
>> >of course this is not a real test, but however I got an impression that
>> >the difference between static page and jsp (in some good container) is
>not that
>> >big (of course if you don't do sql query from jsp).
>>
>> Maybe, but it's more about  "how do I design a proper web-appl" and SoC
>> -> to do easy maintainance and enhancements in the future....
>>
>>   ~Gerhard
>Yes, it very possile to implement logics in JSP, put jdbc code, RMI ... and
>use cache for this
>stuff, It will be very fast to implement and you will have a very good
>performance, but
>It not solution, It is crap, you will need to remove you "fast application"
>later.

A collegue of mine is in the moment the tech. leader in a project. His devs
are some external guy's. This guy's implemented the whole appl. in JSP such
as BusinessLogic and SQL statements. You should hear him swearing. Ok with
the new IBM Websphere Studio Application Developer (now you know where I'm
working) it's possible to "compile" the JSP's to check at least Syntax (I'm
sure there are some other tools around for pre-checking JSPs, but I don't use
JSPs). But this guys doing all in some editor and they see their mistakes only,
when they deployed the web application. That's crap or, ignorant and a waste
of time.

  ~Gerhard