commons-dev mailing list archives

From "AMT" <AMamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:25:42 GMT
In case another war (I'm not sure it's a flame war or not) is about to get started....

This does not need to be an issue until/unless Peter or someone else does propose
it for voting.  Having the actual proposed change in hand would probably lend some
direction and form to the discussion. :) Further, if it does get to a vote, I belive
that all the current committers could vote on whether this change is acceptable to
them.  As they're the ones responsible for the other Commons components, and,
therefore, the ones likely to be affected (positively or negatively) by the change,
each could express his opinion via the vote.

-AMT
Lurker who just returned to this list... fun stuff over the last several days :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Downey [mailto:steve.downey@netfolio.com]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:41 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List'
Subject: RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

OK, I'm not a committer, merely a client, but it seems to me that all Peter
proved is that he can act childishly. His position is that he doesn't trust
the other committers. He doesn't want his code subject to someone else's
criticism. Considering the interdependencies of the commons code, that
strikes me as a bad idea.

For example, suppose someone made a change to beanutils that was disastrous
for digester. Peter's position is that a committer who happens to be working
on digester couldn't -1 the change to beanutils.

I'll admit that it's hypothetical and unlikely, but until Peter -1'd the
release of logging (which is a majority vote, fortunately), so was Peter's
case of a rogue vetoer.

electronic mail transmission
may contain confidential information and is intended only for the person(s)
named.  Any use, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify