commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: New Committer - Vinaysahil Chandran
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:02:09 GMT
On 2/18/02 5:29 PM, "Ted Husted" <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> AFAIK, to have write access to any Apache CVS means being granted an
> Apache account. Having an Apache account means that someone is a
> Committer.

So far, so good.

> I don't believe we should hand a Committer badge to everyone who may
> want to work on something an Apache Committer has placed in the sandbox.

That isn't what is happening here.

> So, if we're talking about asking Brian to hand someone an Apache
> account as a convenience, then I'm -1.

Nor is that.

> If we're talking about nominating someone as a Committer because they
> have demonstrated they deserve Committer status, that's another matter.
>
> I would simply suggest that people take Committer nominations very
> seriously, and to not nominate people unless they have worked with them,
> and observed their qualifications.

I agree with this sentiment 100% (and I think we should apply it to commons
components, but that's another thread for which I have no time or stomach to
revisit).

> One old rule-of-thumb has been whether a person has been persistent, and
> been making regular contributions for at least six months.

So do we try to follow this rule of thumb here?  That would mean quite a
number of commons components would still be waiting for the timer to expire
before adding people...

And further,  we just added a whole new subproject based on the say-so of
one guy and the fact that some people thought it was 'cool', adding a group
of people to be committers that no one knows or has worked with, as far as I
can tell...  At least Paul, who is working on the code in question, claims
to know Vinaysahil, at least implicitly.

(And this is a weird situation - note how it's fundamentally a governance
issue... Hope we don't punt this time...)

geir

System and Software Consulting