commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:54:49 GMT
On 2/3/02 10:53 PM, "costinm@covalent.net" <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, if (hypothetically) Costin wanted to veto a change in
>> axis that Glen Daniels (the most active committer at the present time)
>> thought was important, I'm not sure what I would do.
>
> To add one more example - if a majority of axis commiters would believe
> that tomcat is not ready to be released ( for example because it breaks
> something that axis depends on ), should we release it ? Axis is
> not even a jakarta project, but I think their opinion should be counted
> in the vote count.

I think this is valid - users are certainly a equal participants in the
community.  However, I still thinks it falls to the 'developers' (and I
don't only mean coders - I think everyone with the canonical 'committer'
designation) to make the decision about what to do.

They can ignore a part of their community, in this case the Axis developers,
but that is of course at their own (and the project's) risk.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting