commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:56:24 GMT
On 2/3/02 2:25 PM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson wrote:
>>
>> Costin, I trust your work on the servlet container.
>>
>> That doesn't mean I trust you with everything.  To be frank, I do trust you
>> with most things you choose to participate in, but it's not because you are
>> a 'Jakarta Committer'.  It's because I know you and your work.
>>
>> Similarly, I don't know what (or if) you trust me for (I doubt you use
>> Velocity :), but if there was something, I wouldn't expect it was because I
>> am a 'Jakarta Committer'.
>
> There was a period of time when I was darn near the only committer in Ant.
> While I am still listed as a bona fide committer to that subproject, and
> still commit directly on rare occasions when I feel fairly confident of
> what change is required, I more often tell people of issues, and would even
> consider sending a patch to be discussed.
>
> I believe I am trusted by that community not because of my technical
> expertise, but because of my judgement.  In other words, I can generally be
> trusted to not express a binding vote on matters that others clearly know
> more about than I do.  And I have a track record of participating in the
> solutions when I do express a vote.
>
> I have worked along side Costin on Tomcat 3.x..  To my knowledge he has no
> specific expertise in SOAP or in the Axis code base.  If he had a change he
> wanted to make there, I would trust his judgement.  Besides, I know the cvs
> commands to back out a change.  ;-)

My take-away from that is that like me, you trust him because you know his
work, and you know his judgment.  I trust him because of the work that I
have seen from him, and you because of the work you did with him (and also
have seen from him).

> On the other hand, if (hypothetically) Costin wanted to veto a change in
> axis that Glen Daniels (the most active committer at the present time)
> thought was important, I'm not sure what I would do.
>
> This discussion has challenged a number of assumptions that I have had for
> a while.  I'm not sure that I have yet formulated a clear new world view.

I have to admit I was expecting a broadside from you, Sam.

I am also challenging my own assumptions, learning more about what I want to
see, and trying to get a clear picture in my head.  Some of this was
motivated by the POI discussions on general@, and some from the various
threads recently here in Commons.

I am glad it's being taken positively, because it's meant in a positive,
constructive way.

geir

System and Software Consulting
"The J2EE Compatible brand has achieved significant momentum over the past
two years, and we want to make sure that any open source efforts don't
impact the viability of that effort. "
- Karen Tegan, Director of J2EE Compatibility and Platform Services
 Sun Microsystems