commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:18:22 GMT
On 2/3/02 2:20 PM, "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de> wrote:

> My understanding is that you defend what I was defending before
> "being converted" by Costin:
> - That voting rights for packages NOT in the Sandbox should be
>  reserved to its contributors.

To be frank, if a group of people put something together in the sandbox, I
think it's their right to decide what to do with it within the constraints
of the licensing :)

> Did I got it wrong?

No.  That's a simplification, but it's right.

I assume that you no longer agree with that statement?

If so,  do you agree with the negation of it?

(dropping the sandbox clause for clarity - assume its there if you want - it
really makes no fundamental difference)

1) Voting rights for packages should not be reserved for its contributors.

2) No voting rights for packages should be reserved for its contributors.

Making bigger changes :

3) Voting rights for packages should be reserved for everyone but it's
contributors.

4) Voting rights for packages should be reserved for everyone.

Maybe #1 and #4 mean the same thing.

#2 and #3 are clearly silly but #2 is a negation of what you used to believe
:)

If #4, how do you define everyone?  If the conventional meaning, how do you
manage such a thing so that the people with the vision and hard work get to
have a say in their work product w/o having to be ready for large marketing
campaigns?

Or another way : should the people who do the work have control?

Should they have control from hostile political forces?

TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION : Suppose there were more log4j people in
'everyone' than logkit people.  Are you suggesting that the log4j people
should be able to ensure that logkit never does another release?

geir

> Have fun,
> Paulo

"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable