commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Bean storage in database
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 20:30:52 GMT
FYI : I am playing devils advocate here. I think we are too loosy-goosy with
the rules when we want to be, and then appeal to the strict letter when we
want to.  I think we should clean some things up - not to make *more* rules
(like we should codify the guidelines or just chuck them...) - but to make
it clear.  Peter showed us things aren't clear.

Also - I have no clue what the project that we are talking about is - I was
just surprised that since it's being discussed here, and I suggested
inviting someone to work in the environs, it was rejected...

On 2/2/02 3:14 PM, "Ted Husted" <husted@apache.org> wrote:

> We decided to create the sandbox so we wouldn't have to chase our own
> *Committers* off to Sourceforge everytime they wanted to whiteboard
> something that didn't fit in their own subprojects.

That is true, but is not the complete story.

It says that it's open to all Jakarta committers.  It says nothing more than
that.  Therefore, if you add someone to the Jakarta Commons Sandbox CVS,
they are in fact Jakarta committer by definition?

I hate to be a "Charter Lawyer" here, but I think that you are appealing to
letter of law, not spirit.

We created it also wanted a place to play - to play with others, to play
with new stuff, to play between projects.

All it takes is one existing jakarta committer to want to work on this, and
he can just invite Brian in, right?  Are there people here who want to do
this?

> At the time, we specifically decided *not* to open it up to developers
> who were not already Jakarta Committers.
>
> If we are able to work with Bryan and put together a proposal for
> Simper, then we can propose it and Bryan to the Commons. But until then,
> our hands are tied.

Our hands are tied by what, exactly?

I can make a directory in sandbox, called 'Simper' or 'Beefcake' or 'Flying
Squirrel' and suggest that Bryan has some good ideas to develop in it...

We should make the rules clear, so our moods and feelings donĀ¹t dictate how
we behave.

System and Software Consulting
"The J2EE Compatible brand has achieved significant momentum over the past
two years, and we want to make sure that any open source efforts don't
impact the viability of that effort. "
- Karen Tegan, Director of J2EE Compatibility and Platform Services
 Sun Microsystems