commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:20:08 GMT
On 2/1/02 4:13 PM, "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org> wrote:

> Geir :

>>> Which is also why I don't want to use Avalon to put my shared code.
>>> When you need a repository of random components, and you want as many
> people
>>> as possible to contribute to it and share their code, you can't have a
> rigid
>>> structure, or they'll choose not to bother.
>>> Since we want to maximize code sharing, we need the loose structure.
>>
>> But the point of commons is *not* to make things to conform to a structure
>> like a framework.
>>
>> Other than documentation and hopefully build procedures, the components
>> should be free to be architected as the component developers wish.  If we
>> start forcing "You must use XYZ" then we have Yet Another Framework,
> right?
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I meant by 'loose structure' ('rigid structure' =
> framework).
> Did you understand my comments in another way ?

Rereading...

Yep - sorry. I didn't get my point across...

I guess what I am saying is that if we want Commons to be a loose structure,
where each piece can do whatever it wants to, then changing from 'committer
for one is a committer for all' to 'committer for one is just that...' makes
sense....  You can't force a change by just joining in, like peter did by
adding himself to a file, he was able to offer a binding veto on the release
of something he never contributed to.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                      geirm@optonline.net