commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:03:46 GMT
On 2/1/02 3:43 PM, "Scott Sanders" <> wrote:

> How do you enforce this?  How do you handle this in the Avalon world?  I
> consider (only just recently, BTW), that a committer in Commons is a
> committer to the entire commons codebase, including the sandbox.

And that's the problem that I think peter is pointing out - that people can
have binding votes on projects that they have nothing to do with...

One of the motivations for commons was a place for small*, discrete
components to be able to be packaged and presented for reuse by both Jakarta
projects and developers at large.

So to me, it was to be a container for 'mini-projects', each behaving like
any of the other top level projects in jakarta: Each had a user community,
each had documentation (hopefully like the other components :), and each had
committers that were committers because they showed interest, dedication and
provided value.  Now, that the user communities overlapped, and that the
developers overlapped didn't matter - in fact, that made the whole model
stronger because it coupled what appeared to be islands together into a more
cohesive group.  Further, the sandbox was added to offer a completely open
place for anyone to play, test, experiment and most importantly,

However, that's not how it finally turned out.

I too believed then and still believe now that we would be better served
with the conventional Apache/Jakarta committer model in Commons, where each
component is a well defined group of interested people, a part of the larger
community as well, of course.

I don't think there is *any* downside to that model, as people who are
committed and interested and want a role in a component will get involved in
what I understand the traditional Apache/Jakarta way is...

(*) I have no idea what 'small' really means :)