commons-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Hoppe <ho...@sitewaerts.de>
Subject RE: Problems with commons-logging
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 11:50:23 GMT

> I've been thinking about this. The situation you're outlining
> goes something
> like this at the code level:
>
> if (someHorribleCondition) {
>   log.error("Bad Things Happened Here");
>   //Now what?
> }
>
> If the //Now what? doesn't include a thrown exception, but it's severe
> enough to cause the application using the compenent to fail,
> the component
> has a real problem, not just a logging issue.
>
> Now, maybe the debug level of logging might provide enough
> insight to debug
> the problem, but that's not a good default for unconfigured logging.

I've been searching for errors which came from
"this-should-never-happen"-conditions several times, it's not really fun to
debug. I think if a "this-should-never-happen" actually occurs, the
application/component/method should at least try something which is likely
to work, e.g. print the stacktrace to console.

Daniel

sitewaerts GmbH
Hebelstra├če 15
D-76133 Karlsruhe