commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: Problems with commons-logging
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:38:19 GMT

From: Paulo Gaspar [mailto:paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de]

> > Configuration is not done by a components, therefore it is
> > outside the scope of the common-logging package.
>
> I still do not get WHY you really need to impose such
> limitations.

1) The more you add the more you have to support.
 If someone adds code to commons-logging to do basic
configuration, then commons has to support it.
 You have to make sure it's not creating security problems.
 You have to support it for any future logging kits that
commons-logging supports.

2) The more you add the more users expect.
 It's a "slippery slope".
 If you add a bit of configuration, then people want
"a bit more".

3) The more you add, the more people have to download.
The idea is to keep the component small.

4) We don't need YetAnotherLoggingAPI.
This is a minimal wrapper around a few logging toolkits.
If you keep adding more functionality, you end up replicating
log4j/logkit. We don't need that.

5) If you add it, you've got to do it properly.
What methods will you add?
	setConfigurationFile( String filename )
What about the SimpleLog, how do you configure that?
What about logging kits that don't use file based
configuration?
Once you walk that path, there's a heck of a lot
of work do to.

This component has a purpose.
It fulfills that purpose without needing a configuration
mechanism.
Don't go adding one.

At some point you need to draw a line in the sand and say
"This is the scope of the project"

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may