commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Vernum <Tim.Ver...@macquarie.com>
Subject RE: Problems with commons-logging
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 06:51:11 GMT

> > I am -1 on walking the config line.  No config. None.  This
> API intends
> > to mask all of this and allow a component to just log.  The
> container
> > using the component will be required to configure logging.
> We are not
> > trying to replace LogKit/Log4J, we are only trying to replace
> > System.out.println(), IMHO.  Besides, that is orhtogonal
> IMHO, and if
> > logging does this, it can do this in a later release, on a separate
> > interface.
>
> Yes, but we should at least allow the user to pass a simple
> 'config file'
> or base information to the real logger. Like attributes in
> servlet, jaxp,
> etc.
>
> Otherwise we'll still have to code against Log4j APIs ( to set the
> config file for example ) - and what's the point of using
> commons logging
> if we already require and hardcode log4j ?

Surely the author of the app can be expected to know which logging
toolkit he/she is using?

Commons-logging is to prevent the components from dictating a
specific logging implementation to their users.

It is (AFAICT) intended that commons-logging would only be used
by individual components, and the users of those components
would use their preferred logging api directly.

commons-logging exists *only* to provide an API to commons
components that wish to log without requiring a specific
logging implementation.

Configuration is not done by a components, therefore it is
outside the scope of the common-logging package.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of Macquarie
Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and
should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may