commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Sanders" <ssand...@nextance.com>
Subject RE: Commons Util 1.0 release candidate 1
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:53:12 GMT

I am willing to do the footwork on this, if we all like it.

> > Perhaps we should not name something so generic as util in commons
> > proper.  Perhaps we should have io, lang, text as Java
> does?  Anyone?
> >
> > Utils could stay in the sandbox as the 'sorting' place?
>
> To me, at least, that implies we'd have an "io" component, a "lang"
> component, etc, where the appropriate utilities would reside.

Yes.

>  Things like
> util.CollectionsUtils would move to
> commons.collections.Collections or
> collections.Utils or something.
>
> After looking at some of the other classes in the util
> component, I believe this is a better way to go, especially
> with collections related classes.  There's already some
> duplication between utils and collections (SequencedHashtable
> vs. SequencedHashMap, BufferCache vs. LRUMap, and
> EnumerationIterator vs. EnumerationIterator).  If
> "collection" related
> utility classes went into collections rather than util, this may not
> occur.

I think it is a little better as well, then we would have all the
collections related stuff in Collections, etc.  No need to download 2
packages to get the SequencedHashMap from one and some other collections
related component from another.

Scott