commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Sanders" <ssand...@nextance.com>
Subject RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:49:15 GMT
<snip/>
> > Explicitly state it in a
> > proposal/vote/patch and let's do it.
>
> I have proposed it several times before. If you go back to
> the original vote
> for commons you will see that I only started waving the
> Avalon duplication
> flag after I was ignored on this issue for the second time. I
> had hoped Jon
> would have picked up on it and we could have forced the
> proposal to include
> this requirement but it didn't happen this way.

I agreed with you at the time, but it didn't happen.  Now we have the
Commons and we have to live together here in Jakarta land.  But the
general concensus that I have seen since the dual introduction of Oro
and Regexp is that duplication is OK.  I don't necessarily agree with
that, but I can see some benefits of it, so I go with the flow.

Your concern now, besides the duplication, is that someone with no
vested interest can affect the code in some way, is this correct?  I
would submit to you that is that person is a Commons committer, they are
here because they *do* have a vested interest, not only in the component
they work on primarily, but also any component here.  I have seen
nothing but teamwork here in the Commons, and I want to get that to
spread across all of Jakarta/XML land.

So, again, what is your proposed solution to the problem?

Scott