commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Adding a committer : Catch-22
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:45:13 GMT
Geir, Ted,

>>Any time you want to propose AltRMI to the Commons, you have my vote,
>>even if you were the only Committer listed on the proposal. You know
>>what's what, and I trust that AltRMI will develop a good following over
>>time.
>>

>Agreed.  It already is, and that¹s the issue here.

Thank you both for your votes of confidence.  Though I am good at
solutions, there are many better than me at separation and modular
design.  Most particularly in AltRMI I think my class naming sucks!

>However, I would appreciate if you don't just try to ram this through but
>actually have a discussion about the issue.

I had no intention :-)  I think if I am to stay at commons then I should
go by the book.  A month ago I tried to move it from sandbox to proper
and could have forced that too, but felt it was wrong.  I too think
something smells about the policy.  Specifically voting, but now also
joiners from outside. The combination of these for me is plain catch-22
(anti)pattern.

>>The whole idea behind the Commons committers having karma to every
>>package was so that we would not need to have three active committers.
>>

>Not sure if that is true.
>

>>I'm not going to get into a discussion about that, but wanted to let you
>>know how I would cast my own vote.

Thanks Ted.

Lastly, I am not sure how many people are listening to this conversation.!

- Paul