commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Prickett <prick...@shpimp.com>
Subject Re: Calendar / Scheduler / Workflow
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:35:57 GMT
Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed requests on this list in reference to
> Workflow, Job Scheduler and Calendar capabilities.  I
> believe that Worklfow and Job Scheduler are part of
> commons.  Is anyone addressing the Calendar.
>
> It appears to me that there is commonality betweeen
> these three components.  For calendar there is a need
> to specify events that occur at some time.  These
> events could be one time, or recurring.  Some action
> takes place (such as notifying the user) at the time
> of the event.  The Job Scheduler needs similar
> functionality - the action would be to run a job.  The
> calendar also has "To Do" lists (or worklists in
> workflow).

Calendar would be me. There is a new commit as of yesterday with a first
cut of an iCalendar implementation based on an earlier code base which
was distributed with Jetspeed but not completed.

You can check out the new codebase by checking out
jakarta-commons-sandbox/periodicity

> Is someone looking at these pieces from a holostic
> view so that the various efforts can leverage the work
> being done in other services ?

No work has yet been done to see what type of integration could be done
with Workflow, Avalon, James, Turbine, or Velocity. If you would like to
volunteer it would be very appreciated. Soon probably within a week I
will be posting an "official" to do list along with a tentative release
plan.

The first order of business will probably be to get Periodicity working
with Torque generated peers. From there we will probably concentrate on
user access issues and integrating users, groups, and permissions.

> Thanks.

thank you for your interest in Calendaring

Jeff Prickett