commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with commons-logging
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:11:29 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Tim Vernum wrote:
>

>>1) The more you add the more you have to support.
>> If someone adds code to commons-logging to do basic
>>configuration, then commons has to support it.
>> You have to make sure it's not creating security problems.
>> You have to support it for any future logging kits that
>>commons-logging supports.
>>

> The why add commons-logging at all :-) ? If we don't add
> it we don't have to support anything.
>
> By this aproach, it may be easier to create a Category impl.
> that logs to logkit and one that logs to 1.4 log, and
> we don't have to maintain anything at all.
>
> A get/setAttribute that will allow passing of impl. specific
> info without hardcoding the class names is not that hard to
> maintain.

In Avalon, we provide the following interface for the LoggerConfiguration:

/*
  * Copyright (C) The Apache Software Foundation. All rights reserved.
  *
  * This software is published under the terms of the Apache Software License
  * version 1.1, a copy of which has been included  with this distribution in
  * the LICENSE.txt file.
  */
package org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger;

import org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger;

/**
  * LoggerManager Interface.  This is the interface used to get instances of
  * a Logger for your system.
  *
  * @author <a href="mailto:bloritsch@apache.org">Berin Loritsch</a>
  * @version CVS $Revision: 1.1 $ $Date: 2002/01/17 20:44:59 $
  */
public interface LoggerManager
{
     /**
      * Return the Logger for the specified category.
      */
     Logger getLoggerForCategory( String categoryName );

     /**
      * Return the default Logger.  This is basically the same
      * as getting the Logger for the "" category.
      */
     Logger getDefaultLogger();
}

We have an implementation for LogKit which is pretty involved (mainly because
LogKit does not provide a file based configuration scheme directly), and one
for Log4J which is very simple (it differs to Log4J's configuration scheme).

This should be enough.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin