commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Commons-USER, Commons-DISCUSS
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:24:28 GMT
Michael A. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 ringo.desmet@mediagenix.com wrote:
> As for the cvs commit messages...
>
> Developers are theoretically supposed to review cvs commits since each
> commit is a product change and subject to lazy consensus (I think everyone
> agrees to that).  As such, I think it's appropriate to have cvs commit
> messages sent to the dev list.  After all, the dev list is for developers.

Understood, but there are lurkers who may consider committing.  I for one
don't need to see the commit messages.  When I get to the point of actually
needing to see them I would subscribe to the cvs list.

> For what reason are you interested in being on the dev list, but not
> interested in seeing the commit messages?  maybe that would offer a
> compelling argument as to moving the cvs messages to a different list.

I may want to be on the developers list to discuss issues surrounding moving
components into the commons repository--but may not be totally convinced
that is where they should go.  After discussing the issues on the list,
I may come to the point of actually wanting to see the CVS list, but
not before then.

Furthermore, when I am trying to follow a thread, I have to sift through
dozens of commit messages.  I typically delete them in groups since that is
how they hit the list.  On occasion I have inadvertently deleted a response
that was beneficial to me.

It's extra noise that lurkers don't need/want, and many times lurkers
become users/developers (it happened a few times on the Avalon project already).

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin