commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 00:32:46 GMT
But it is important to note that a Committers veto is not an absolute.
If a Committer were insane, there can be (and has been) a redress of
grievances at an executive level.

The voting process does not need to be foolproof; it just needs to get
us through the day, keep good code flowing into the CVS, and back out to
the users.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools." -- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

-T.

Sam Ruby wrote:

> Ted Husted wrote:
> >
> > The true fact is the PMC Chair has total authority over the Jakareta
> > codebase, and can drop anyone's access anytime. The votes are an
> > important courtesy, like a jury trial, but the ASF can set aside our
> > verdict any time they choose.
>
> Technically true.  But in practice it is the other way around.  As long as
> I have any say, the PMC will only be a veto of last resort; and in every
> other circumstance, it will be ONLY the committers votes that count.
>
> > But hopefully, we will continue to elect sane Chairs who will do the
> > Right Thing and not meddle.
>
> So when do we start?  ;-)
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> --