commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:09:26 GMT
Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> [...]

I guess the coherency perceived is that all the components
in Avalon's Excalibur (since this is closest to Commons) all
have a purpose towards some level of server programming.  Some
were born from Matt Welsh's SEDA concepts (those are relatively
new), some were born from Cocoon, and yet others were born from
Phoenix and JAMES.  We borrow from our users, and our users
donate to us.  It's a good synergy.  That is where our coherency
lies.

I think Commons has a more diverse audience, and a different
perspective on things.

For instance, the Avalon community is sold on IOC and SOC (Inversion
of Control and Separation of Concerns).  Many commons committers have
their reservations about those patterns.  Those patterns do influence
all of our code.  Even the stuff that can be ripped out of Excalibur
and used completely apart from Avalon has those patterns in mind
when they were designed.  That is why you will rarely see static
factories for a piece in the system--everything is designed to be
externally managed.

I suppose there is another point of coherency.  But I'm just talking
now, so I'll shut up.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin