commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:55:59 GMT
costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:
>
> > +1 about eveything you said, although I think Peter added himself to the
> > STATUS file to make a point about the problems with the model in
> > general, not logging in particular.
>
> And if a commiter logs in jakarta, removes all the files in the CVS or
> breaks in - it'll make a point that nobody should be trusted ?
>
> Of if he changes the jakarta-site and adds some inaproriate content,
> will that mean we shouldn't allow commiters to access the jakarta-site ?
>
> Any model has problems.  I don't know what's the right solution, but
> it can happen in any project - if someone wants to contribute to tomcat
> he can become a commiter and play the same -1 game there, as in any other
> project.
>
> Costin

+1

We must proceed from the premise that Committers are sane.

The true fact is the PMC Chair has total authority over the Jakareta
codebase, and can drop anyone's access anytime. The votes are an
important courtesy, like a jury trial, but the ASF can set aside our
verdict any time they choose.

But hopefully, we will continue to elect sane Chairs who will do the
Right Thing and not meddle.

Likewise, we will hopefully continue to elect sane Committers who will
also do the Right Thing.

People who actually Do Things seem to do the Right Things. Non-doing is
what causes problems.

Words divide us, actions unite us.
-- Slogan of the Tupamaros

-- Java Web Development with Struts.