commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] Default log
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:49:11 GMT

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 20:00:00 -0800 (PST)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [logging] Default log
>
> The current default is NoOp. I would like to change this to SimpleLog. If
> no other logger is found we don't want to lose messages - I think it
> is a huge mistake to default to 'don't log anything if a logger can't be
> found'.

My only problem with this is applications that use System.out for their
own output (such as a "filter" in the traditional Unix sense of programs
that read standard input and write to standard output).

Maybe SimpleLog should go to standard error instead?

> Also, for SimpleLog - I would like to change the default level to
> info ( or warn ). Error is far too high, it's better to get more
> info by default than to get none ( in a corectly configured
> situation you'll get what's configured, but if something is
> wrong you should get as much as possible ).

My preference would be "warn" if we default to System.out, or "info" if we
default to someplace else.

> Costin

Craig