commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Workflow] - Couple of questions
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:23:40 GMT

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Laine Donlan wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:49:11 -0500
> From: Laine Donlan <ldonlan@elogex.com>
> To: "Jakarta Commons DevList (E-mail)" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [Workflow] - Couple of questions
>
> First off -
>
> If there is a user list for commons components could someone please
> direct me to it, and I will post this message there.  I didn't see
> linked from the Jakarta site.  Thanks

Currently, there is no COMMONS-USER list.

> I have started looking at the workflow components out there and the
> amount of work that is been put in there is pretty impressive.  I had a
> couple of basic questions that I was hoping someone could help out with.
>
> 1) One seems to be a config problem.  I was having a lot of trouble
> getting the system property for javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory to
> recognize the xerces implementation.  I tried the jaxp.properties under
> the JRE, the file in the jar file and setting in on the command line.
> Any ideas?

Are you running under JDK 1.4?  If so, you're probably running into the
fact that an XML parser built in, which overrides your choice unless you
use the special "Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism".  See

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/standards/index.html

for more information.  In the HEAD branch of Tomcat, for example, we're
going to move the parser into a new $CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed
directory so that you can do things like use Xerces 2 in webapps.

> 2) Are multiple activities supported within the xml file, or is Activity
> the base?

That depends on how you define the outermost matching rules of the
Digester used to process the file.

>From an XML syntax point of view, there can only be one instance of the
outermost element.  However, all the rules will still be recognized if
they are nested more deeply.  For example:

  <activities>

    <activity ...>
    </activity>

    <activity>
    </activity>

  </activities

You could modify the demo application (org.apache.commons.workflow.demo.Main)
to recognize this by changing the matching pattern from "activity" to
"activities/activity" in the createDigester() method.  Then, setActivity
would be called once per nested <activity> element.

> Thanks
>
> Laine

Craig