commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Decoding multpart mime HTTP POST API
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:02:45 GMT

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Ignacio J. Ortega wrote:

> BTW I dont think that commons is suitable for a Filter repository.. we
> are suppossed to be doing components, is a 2.3 filter a component? i
> dont think so..

In the Tomcat 4 distribution, there's a couple of filters included in the
example webapp:

* Set the character encoding of an input request if the
  browser didn't send it

* Transparently do compression on the response if the
  browser says it can handle a compressed response

Both of them are small, stand-alone, and generally useful -- but they are
difficult to get at being buried inside a webapp.  I don't know about you,
but that sort of fits my notion of a "component" :-).

I agree that, in a longer term, a jakarta-filters project (like
jakarta-taglibs) would be a good idea.  We need to jump-start the content
and the community a little bit first, though, and the responses so far to
Glenn's proposal seem to indicate some interest.  The sandbox would be a
reasonable place to get started.

> Saludos ,
> Ignacio J. Ortega

Craig