commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Workflow
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:52:22 GMT

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:37:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: Viraf Bankwalla <viraf_bankwalla@yahoo.com>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Workflow
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that there was a workflow component in the
> commons sandbox.  I have read the proposal, and was
> inquiring to see if there were more details.
>
> Are we leveraging any existing work for this ?  Are we
> basing it on any standards such as the WFMC ?

Hello Viraf,

I looked at WFMC and a couple of the other "high level" standards for this
sort of thing before designing the Workflow component.  They didn't really
address the sort of "low level" things that I was interested in scripting,
which tend to be synchronous, short duration, and executed by a single
individual.  In particular, I wanted to be able to script things like a
"wizard" dialog in web applications, where you had to interact with the
user across multiple HTTP requests, which required the ability to suspend
and resume execution of the script.

WFMC and friends are more appropriately used at what the Commons Workflow
proposal calls the "Process" concept (which hasn't been fleshed out at all
yet) than the "Activity" concept (which is focused on the lower level
things).

> Thanks.
>
> - viraf

Craig