commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Problems with commons-logging
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:16:00 GMT

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> Hey, I am talking about the really minimal "log to a file"
> configuration that any logger supports and drawing the line
> after that.

The "any logger supports" statement is why this proposal is on the
slippery slope.  IMHO, the commons-logging API itself should not touch
configuration at all.

Configuration is a feature of a particular *implementation* of logging.
The implementations we wrap all have their own configuration mechanism.
So does the simple logger implementation that writes to System.out (which
uses system properties).

If that's not enough for you, the appropriate step is to write a slightly
more sophisticated implementation of the simple logger that configures
itself through whatever mechanism it wants to use.

(Paulo, your argument on this philosophical issue made it clear that data
conversion, for example, is a feature of a DynaBean implementation, not
the DynaBean interface itself :-).

Craig