commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Logging Toolkit (fwd)
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 08:56:44 GMT
On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 19:14, bayard@generationjava.com wrote:
> A post to the Log4J list. What's the answer? I didn't see a FAQ on the
> Avalon page with:
>
> 'Why not just use Log4J?'

Most likely Ceki would go ballistic ;)

The answer is that LogKit existed at Apache for a bit before Log4j came here.
It has made some of the same mistakes as Log4j but also managed to avoid some
of them. In particular it is more friendly to deeper category hierarchies,
safer/securer access and multiple hierarchies in JVM. It also has a more
performance orientated perspective (trades small bits of memory for much
faster performance).

However it does not have many of the bells and whistles as Log4j. It doesn't
do object rendering, i18n, lifecycle management of output objects etc. It is
unlikely that it will ever do any of these things. I think it also is missing
some of the output targets (though it also has a few more) though this has
likely changed since I last looked at Log4j.

--
Cheers,

Pete