commons-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:03:08 GMT
On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 06:41, Steve Downey wrote:
> OK, I'm not a committer, merely a client, but it seems to me that all Peter
> proved is that he can act childishly. His position is that he doesn't trust
> the other committers.

I wouldn't say that - merely that it should work like a meritocracy (like
Apache is supposed to).

> He doesn't want his code subject to someone else's
> criticism.

critism is great and is the best way to improve something - however

criticism != voting rights

> Considering the interdependencies of the commons code, that
> strikes me as a bad idea.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

> For example, suppose someone made a change to beanutils that was disastrous
> for digester. Peter's position is that a committer who happens to be
> working on digester couldn't -1 the change to beanutils.

I suspect the committers overlap so they easily could -1 a change. Even if
they couldn't they could just fork it.

--
Cheers,

Pete