commons-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Burdick <charles_burd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Util 1.0? - Let's house the homeless
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:26:03 GMT
After browsing the CVS tree, it seems that many of the 'util' objects
have legitimate homes elsewhere.

Below, I've listed a suggested "relocation plan" for the items in Util,
based on class names and a cursory glance through the source.

It seems clear that we need a commons/lang package for Object, Class,
and Exception-related tools. Given that, then only 3 classes to me seem
to be truly homeless, 2 of which are related to Soundex. (How "common"
is it really?)

I find it disturbing that some Utils look like blantant duplication of
effort! SequencedHashtable, MapUtils, CollectionUtils, etc. are already
in Collections. Also XMLUtils seems redundant/misplaced given the tools
already available - Xerces, JDom, etc.

I agree that sandbox/util could serve as an Ellis Island of sorts for
entry into other Commons packages.  But I strongly disagree with Util as
a package on its own.

I'm not a committer, but I am a frequent user and occasional
contributor. IMO, Utils as a package diminishes the *usability* of
Commons.

Thanks,
Chuck

[IO]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/Base64.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/BitField.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/BufferCache.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/FileUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/HexDump.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/http/BrowserDetector.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/http/HttpUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/http/RequestUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/LockableFileWriter.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/StreamUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/GenerateUniqueId.java
src/test/org/apache/commons/util/BitFieldTest.java
src/test/org/apache/commons/util/BufferCacheTest.java
src/test/org/apache/commons/util/HexDumpTest.java
src/test/org/apache/commons/util/SequencedHashtableTest.java

[LANG]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/ClassUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/exception/Nestable.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/exception/NestableDelegate.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/exception/NestableException.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/exception/NestableRuntimeException.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/NumberUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/ObjectUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/StringUtils.java
src/test/org/apache/commons/util/StringUtilsTest.java

[COLLECTIONS]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/CollectionsUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/ComparableComparator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/NumericStringComparator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/PackageNameComparator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/ReverseComparator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/UrlComparator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/EnumerationIterator.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/ILRUElement.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/LRUElement.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/LRUElementDescriptor.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/LRUElementImp.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/LRUStore.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/lru/LRUStoreImp.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/MapUtils.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/SequencedHashtable.java
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/StringStack.java

[HOMELESS]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/Soundex.java - [IO? SOUNDEX?]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/compare/SoundexComparator.java - [COLLECTIONS? IO? SOUNDEX?]
src/java/org/apache/commons/util/XmlUtils.java - [XERCES? JDOM?]