commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Field-Elliot <bryan_li...@netmeme.org>
Subject [Simper] Re: Bean storage in database
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2002 14:57:09 GMT
Hi James,

Thanks for the great feedback!

Yes, I identified early on that I'd like to move the initialization to
an XML file using Digester (a tool I admittedly haven't had time to
learn), rather than force the user to implement a Simper.IInit class.
One possible caveat however, is that sometimes you actually have to
write code in order to grab a DataSource from whatever connection pool
you're using, rather than just refer to it in the XML file. However,
careful use of adaptor classes could be thrown into the mix here (e.g. a
class which gets the DataSource from Struts, another one which gets it
from DBCP, etc).

We are also on the same wavelength regarding the transaction
startup/commit logic, and that it shouldn't necessarily be tied directly
to the Servlet 2.3 Filter mechanism. I've already had an eye on
extracting that as well into something more generic, and then providing
an adaptor class which wraps it into a Servlet Filter. This is an easy
one to knock off and I may do it this coming week.

I'd also like to set up a CVS repository and mailing list (and a
slightly more interesting website) this week in order to let others Ted
really contribute. Ultimately I'd be happy to see this adopted into
Jakarta somewhere (Commons, Sandbox, whatever), but I'm in no hurry and
certainly don't want to cause an uproar regarding the bending of rules
(since I'm not a committer).

Thanks,

Bryan