commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:49:11 GMT
> So, I agree with Peter: the commons will get too big and has a
> too loose structure to control things like this (which is still
> not the case with Avalon).

Which is also why I don't want to use Avalon to put my shared code.
When you need a repository of random components, and you want as many people
as possible to contribute to it and share their code, you can't have a rigid
structure, or they'll choose not to bother.
Since we want to maximize code sharing, we need the loose structure.

Did the commons do anything bad in a year ?
I don't think so (see Cactus, and others).
We'll see in the future if there's a structural problem, but I don't think
it's a good idea to speculate too much since we've done very well so far.

> Peter posted that -1 just to defend this POV on the vote rules
> and not to avoid the release of logging. If you read that post
> with some attention you will see that.

Fair enough. It's his opinion.

Remy