commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] ID-IDREF solution to cyclic reference problem
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:33:58 GMT
From: "robert burrell donkin" <robertdonkin@mac.com>
> i've just committed code that stamps IDs on elements and then uses IDREFs
> to solve the cyclic reference problem. it's been delayed since it took me
> a while to find a good way to implement it.

Thanks robert - it looks great.

> i should probably say something about the changes to
> org.apache.commons.betwixt.io.BeanWriter since they are quite extensive.
i'
> ve tried to separate the actual writing from the logic concerning
> processing the descriptors . the writing code should now live in small
> expressXXX methods and some duplication has been reduced.

Cool.

I've been musing over possible ways to make it easy for users of betwixt to
'walk' the XML tree for a certain bean. Maybe once there's a few different
ways of outputting a bean, text, SAX & DOM (*) then we could maybe refactor
the code to make it easier & share code. Just thinking aloud here...

(*) if we had a DOM implementation based on betwixt then we could do XSLT on
beans which would be kinda cool. The domify project at SF does pretty much
the same thing though it doesn't support customizable mappings of beans to
XML. Also its easy to pipe DOM (or SAX) to other models like dom4j and JDOM.

> it's hard to write good unit test code for betwixt

Agreed - it might be worth trying out xmlunit or something for testing...

> and so i may have
> introduced new bugs. any bug reports will be gratefully received.

Things look OK so far :)

James