commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2002 00:08:48 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:16, Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> > Some developers proposed that all Jakarta members should get Karma to
> > Commons automatically.  In essence, you would have been able to commit
> > directly to the Commons repository at any time, even if you had made no
> > contributions to the Commons before.  I believe this was Costin's
original
> > stance; I don't know if he still believes this is the best course for
the
> > project.  For convenience's sake, let's call this the OPEN MODEL.
>
> Funnily enough Costins model == Peters model. Go back and read stuff - I
> believe CVS should be open across the board as does Sam IIRC - Jon was
> very opposed to it though so it didn't get done ;)

Oops I ommitted an important detail.  Some folks thought anyone should be
able to vote on a Commons component release, even if they had not
contributed code.  The idea was that if it's truly a "common" component,
then everyone has a stake in it, not just the committers.  In that, your
opinion differs.  (Clearly everyone had a slightly different perspective.)

> > The other end of the spectrum was Peter's opinion: that each component
> > should be run like a mini Jakrata subproject, complete with separate
commit
> > and voting rights.  We'll say this is the CLOSED MODEL.
>
> Separate voting rights not commit rights. Only people who show commitment
> a product should be able to have binding votes on it.

Fair enough, that's also a reasonable perspective.

IMO it's too limiting though; the Commons is a community of component
developers, and it's useful to get input from the entire group.  For
example, you didn't work on the logging implementation, but you had issues
with it.  It clearly benefits you to have a say in the community.  If a
group is too small, there's a strong possibility of inbred opinions.  E.g. I
recently attempted to work on a project at SourceForge, but I would have had
to content with a pretty small and seemingly closeminded group of
developers.  Thank goodness for Tigris.  :)

- Morgan

- Morgan