commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Morgan Delagrange" <mdela...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Collections 2.0? (Collections 1.1 RIP)
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:01:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <bayard@generationjava.com>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: Collections 2.0? (Collections 1.1 RIP)

> While my question is for new functionality I'd like to get in before a
> 2.0 release, Berin's raises a good point.

Don't forget, you can add new functionality in a Minor Release too (but not
a bug-fix release), as long as it is not vetoed and does not break existing
interfaces.

> Is there a whole list of 'things that ought to be done' we could compile
> for Collections? Then target 2.0 with an aim to clear those up?

+1.  I'm willing to track (informally) that kind of information.

> Hell, Collections is pretty small, we could go through it a component at a
> time and solicit opinions, then solve and tick off, then declare 2.0?

If you want.  That sounds like overkill to me.  No need to go looking for
work to do, I'd prefer to let folks just scratch their itches.

> Is there a list of changes from 1.0 that are being made to 2.0?

Please send any changes of note to the list.  Here's what I know of:

 - New collection: SynchronizedHashMap
 - Reimplementation and bug fixes to LRUMap (probably)
 - LRUMap can no longer be cast to a HashMap (probably)

I also know of some other new classes, like the Bag classes, but I would
prefer the contributors to send a short note on their purpose and status,
rather than having one of the uninitiated comb through the CVS logs.

> Should 2.0
> enforce a Java 1.2 usage?

Not sure I follow here.  Maybe you mean something like, "Should we note in
our docs that any class in Collections may rely on Java 2 Collections in
future releases?"  If so, then definitely yes, let's include that in the
contract for the product.

> Just ideas..
>
> Bay

- Morgan