commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael A. Smith" <iammich...@iammichael.org>
Subject RE: Silly Question
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 20:05:21 GMT
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Scott Sanders wrote:
> > Are you asking whether SequencedHashtable should be committed
> > to the collections component unaltered?
>
> Yes.

I'm not a committer, so weigh my thoughts how you wish:  In my opinion,
no.  While a synchronized version may be worthwhile, I think it would be
better implemented wrapping the impl in SequencedHashMap using
Collections.synchronizedMap.  Having it inherit from Hashtable rather than
HashMap doesn't really add anything other than increased headache in
maintenance (any bug fixes would need to be applied to both
SequencedHashtable and SequencedHashMap)

> >Asking whether
> > no-JDK 1.2 collection types can go into the collections
> > component?
>
> Yes.

Again, I'm not a committer, so weigh my thoughts how you wish:  The
commons collections component is attempting to fill "holes left unfilled
by Sun's implementations"[1].  Non-JDK 1.2-based collections could
appropriately fit within that charter, thus should certainly be allowed in
the collections component.  For example, a Heap implementation that orders
things based on a priority specified when inserting the item into the heap
(requires add(Object o, int priority) which doesn't exist anywhere in the
JDK 1.2 collections API).

regards,
michael

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections.html