commons-dev mailing list archives

From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Commons/Avalon [was Re: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release]
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:06:52 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > The main difference is that you should not be able to vote on things you
> > > are not a developer on. Other than that it is largely window dressing
> > > differences.
> >
> > I'm not sure I get this. A patch to a system makes sense, the developers
> > on a project will not want a bad patch or a misplaced patch to be added.
>
> Not sure what you mean. I as a non-contributing, non-user get voting rights
> over something like logging - does that seem like a good idea?

Well, in your paragraph below you seem to suggest it is? It doesn't sound
as though 'the community' below is meant to only mean the coders of
something and/or the users of something. All the people on the list form
the community?

> > But a new release of something, or even a new project will nearly always
> > be voted for by the developers as +1? Where's the controlling negative
> > factor?
>
> Who needs a negative factor - the community decides what is crap and what is
> good and you would be surprised at how many developers wont support new
> releases if it is a bad idea. New projects are slightly different.

I would imagine Commons needs a negative factor with its plans to be run
looser? Of course, that is susceptible to the kind of voting the UK do in
europe :) "No. No. No. No."

Bay