commons-dev mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: More abuse of coding styles...
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:48:53 GMT
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

| It is amazing to me...with all the discussion about coding styles and
| following them, we still have people committing code that doesn't follow
| what rules we do have...
|
| on 1/3/02 11:00 AM, "rdonkin@apache.org" <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
|
| Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
| SimpleLog.java
|
| > +        if(_showtime) {
|
| <http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html#367>
|
| "Variable names should not start with underscore _ or dollar sign $
| characters, even though both are allowed."

The _instanceVariable and also the __staticVariable idea makes real good
sense to me nowadays. Do you have any arguments against it? (btw; this is
a genuine question!)..

And while talking about code conventions; people writing like this:

if (something)
{

}

should be shot right there on the spot, in the act of typing it.

The ONLY way to write blocks is like this:

if (something) {

}

;)

--