commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Sharples" <>
Subject RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:05:04 GMT

Having followed this, er, debate with some amusement, I get the feeling
that if some of the energy directed at this list had instead been directed
towards JSR-47, then this discussion could have been avoided entirely. What
if JSR-47 had come up with a common interface that could be used outside of
Merlin, that would have allowed Log4J, Avalon et al to plug into a common
interface that was part of the JDK?

Ah well, back to work...

Colin M Sharples
I/T Architect
IBM Global Services New Zealand

phone: 64-4-5769853
mobile: 64-21-402085
fax: 64-4-5765616

                    Ruby/Raleigh/I       To:     "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
                    BM@IBMUS              <>
                    31/01/2002           Subject:     RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging
1.0 Release
                    Please respond
                    to "Jakarta

*** Note to mailing list ***

This mailing list seems to have attracted too many people who feel
compelled to get the last word in every discussion.  Aren't satisfied with
mere apologies or detailed explanations, but insist on bringing up the same
issues again and again.

For the moment, try to forget the past.  Instead, try to figure out:

   * where we are

   * where we want to be

   * the best way to get there

- Sam Ruby