commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:45:53 GMT
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> on 1/6/02 1:14 PM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> David Winterfeldt wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think any of the other commons
>>> packages have any dependencies outside of commons.
>>
>> 3 depend on log4j, 2 depend on servletapi, 1 depends on regexp.
>>
>> - Sam Ruby
>
> This is also yet another sad case of duplication and re-invention of the
> wheel...
>
> jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/src/services/java/org/apache/fulcrum/intake

Jon, I presume that you are talking about the subject, and not the text you
are quoting.  In any case, a framework independent validator seems to me to
be valuable a reusable component.  If one or both can't be restructed to be
framework independent, then that would seem to be a reasonable explanation
for the duplication.  If both can, then merging of the best of both here in
commons would seem to be the wisest path.

David: I tried building it, and see no compile time dependencies on struts,
tomcat, or cactus.  Presumably these are only required by the unit tests?

-jon