commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: [Logging] [VOTE] Commons Logging 1.0 Release
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:03:23 GMT
Hi Craig,

> > Besides, Craig used Avalon code for the JSR47 wrapper
>
> To be precise, I based this on the code Paulo posted to COMMONS-DEV a
> while back, which were in a non-Avalon Java package (maybe this is what
> you proposed originally to Avalon?).  I didn't know it was the Avalon
> logic, but it doesn't bother me at all to give credit.  Whose name(s)
> should I add on the code?

I believe you missed it but both times I posted that code I mentioned it
was Avalon's code. This bit is from the last time I posted that code:

 <SNIP />

 > It comes straight from Avalon. You can find the same LogKit wrapper at:
 >     \jakarta-avalon\src\java\org\apache\avalon\framework\logger
 >
 > You can also find a JDK 1.4 Logging API wrapper in both the attachment
 > and in Avalon (same code again).

I also kept the original credits in all the files I ported from Avalon.
For the "Jdk14Logger.java" file those are:

 * @author  <a href="mailto:bloritsch@apache.org">Berin Loritsch</a>
 * @author  <a href="mailto:donaldp@apache.org">Peter Donald</a>

There were some other files which I coded and those have my name. AFAIK
nothing from my code was used and that is not the issue here.

To the ones from Avalon I only made cosmetic changes (like changing
LogEnabled to Loggable and so) and I did NOT add my name to their
credits list.

Why did I post this stuff in "a non-Avalon Java package"?

Because I was working on a common logging interface for my own use and
used the Avalon wrappers for it. The package also includes a "simple
logger", a "primordial logger", modified AbstractLoggable classes and
I am adding (when I have time) common configuration functionality. And
then there are those cosmetic changes.

So, I just posted my working package which was easier to grab and
could have something interesting besides the Avalon (most important)
bit.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar