commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: Codec Sandbox (was: To fork or not ...)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:19:01 GMT
Ok Scott,

Some interesting pieces of code of common use at both
jakarta and xml-apache:

Mostly streams and I/O stuff:

  Avalon-Excalibur
    org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io:
        IOUtil     (Great streams-only util class)
        FileUtil   (File utils. Quite good)
        EndianUtil

  Cocoon
    org.apache.cocoon.util:
        PostInputStream  (size limited InputStream)

Mostly Encoding/Decoding/Mime stuff:

  James
    org.apache.james.util:
        Base64 (Shortest Base64 code by using
                javax.mail.internet.MimeUtility)

  Axis (xml-apache)
    org.apache.axis.attachments:
        MimeUtils  (using javax.mail stuff to do
                    "weird multipart stuff")

  Tomcat 3.3
    org.apache.tomcat.util.buf:
        All look interesting. Some names:
          Base64, UEncoder, UDecoder, UTF8Decoder,
          Ascii, B2CConverter, C2BConverter

  Tomcat 4
    org.apache.catalina.util:
        MD5Encoder
        MIME2Java (just translates the encoding names)

  Xerces (xml-apache)
    org.apache.xerces.util:
        EncodingMap  (just translates the encoding names)

  Batik (xml-apache)
    org.apache.batik.util:
        Base64EncoderStream, Base64DecodeStream

    Image stuff on this and other packages:
        org.apache.batik.transcoder
        org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image
        org.apache.batik.ext.awt.image.codec

Ant might have something and maybe Turbine too. Do not take
this as a comprehensive list. I suspect that the XML
projects might have a lot more.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar