commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gas...@krankikom.de>
Subject RE: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 01:52:08 GMT

A good code base should be easy to understand.

> > This month, I am saddened by someone using his -1 to block progress
> > towards contributing a reusable and independent code base to the
commons.

> You forgot 'duplicated'.

If only one of them should stay, why Intake? Why is it better?

(Please no "this one is older" argument or I start thinking this is some
kind of "public function" like community.)

David's Validator already has a clear advantage: someone already did turn
it into an independent component... or maybe it was built that way.

> > You want to know how management decisions are made?  We have a person
> > volunteering to do the work based on the struts code base.
> Unless there is
> > a better offer out there, I see a rather easy management
> decision to make.
> > And that is coming from someone who tends towards non-intervention.
>
> However, good management knows what resources to allocate to what
> responsibilities.
>
> This issue stems all the way back to the Tomcat3 vs. Tomcat4 discussions.
> Why is it a good thing to have half of the people working on T3
> and half on T4?

Again? There was no half/half division. There was less people with T3.3
and many of them would fork away of Jakarta if needed. They would not
become T4 developers.

It was a "scratching the itch" problem. They wanted a production quality
Tomcat ASAP and believed 3.3 was the one.

Now several of those developers are contributing to Tomcat 4 instead of
to some SourceForge project.

This is Open Source, not a corporation. No management is going to impose
where a given developer is going to spend his time, except _maybe_ if
that developer is one of the few Open Source pros.

> Why not combine the *limited* resources towards working on one common
> codebase?

It happens as soon as everybody believes that a given codebase is
clearly better than the other.

Maybe the only way to achieve the resource efficiency you pursue is to
explain everybody which codebase is better and why

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar