commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: [simplestore] enhancements (was: [simplestore] inital check in)
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:44:53 GMT
People,

I think we have definition problem here. I don't wanna re-build the memory
management of the JVM. I just wanna provide some _small_, _quick_ and _ease_
to plug components where people can store -well- *things*. Like in the Cocoon
project generated HTML or PDF files to spare System resources, or a Application
Server which pools Objects, or whatever. Object in and throw Object out.
The memory management of the JVM is doing the rest.

We have to consider how we can use the JVM memory management and the GC in an
most perfect way. Solution a) was the StoreJanitor which derefences Objects and
forces the GC after that or solution b) WeakReferences which seem to be a very
elegant solution. I'm open for everything!

That's the picture I have. What's yours?

  Gerhard