commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" <tom.klaa...@telerelay.com>
Subject RE: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:04:49 GMT

Nor is thinking something else than you. People who oppose your position
are not doing it out of bad character, you know. It is because they
think they're right. And classifying them as 'dumb scum' could chase
away more developers/documenters than you wish. Hell, if I subscribed to
commons-dev right now, I wouldn't dare to donate something.

> > It
> > must make live very easy (or tiresome, as in this
> discussion). Please,
> > play the ball and not the person. The "you're too dumb to understand
> > this" argument does not impress me.
>
> Well, show me that you do understand.

This is the same argument.

> > The consequence is the same, and the consequence is that commons has
> > _no_ validator framework now. Is this in the general interest of the
> > jakarta project? If yes, I will refrain from commenting further.
>
> At this point, I do feel that going back and re-evaluating
> the larger issues
> of the Jakarta project (which I have brought up) is indeed
> within the best
> interest of the Jakarta project before we go forward with the Commons
> Validator Framework or any other new project for that matter. Given a
> limited set of resources to clean up the current messes,
> going forward and
> creating more messes is not a good thing in my eyes.

You cannot say "it is a mess" without defining what "order" is. From
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/: "The Commons Proper is dedicated to
one principal goal: creating and maintaining reusable Java components.
The Commons Proper is a place for collaboration and sharing, where
developers from throughout the Jakarta community can work together on
projects to be shared by the Jakarta projects and Jakarta users."
It does not say "if you have a reusable component, everyone has to use
it" but "if you have a reusable component, you may put it in commons".
And this difference, my friend, is what caused this whole discussion.

tomK