commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Klaasen (TeleRelay)" <tom.klaa...@telerelay.com>
Subject RE: Commons Validator Packaging/Content
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 17:06:24 GMT

You were talking about "jakarta", weren't you?

> >> If we had more
> >> users who
> >> turned into developers, we might have more documentation.
> >
> > Again I'm not sure about this. The user who is learning
> some project is
> > not able to write documentation, and the user who becomes a
> developer
> > wants to develop, since his need for documentation is
> reduced (less itch
> > to scratch).
>
> Actually, a lot of users tend to document things when they are first
> learning something new.

... just to see that they got the details wrong, and discard their
effort as "useless". That's what happened to me, anyway. Documentation
has to be written by developers, not by users. Just as there seems to be
a tendency to "testing has to be done by developers, not by users" (cf.
all the automated tests I see appear in diverse projects). Maybe it is
time for a JDoc project, which causes builds to fail unless there's
enough documentation ;-)

Anyway, voting "-1" on something to say "you have to take mine, not
yours" is euhm... not constructive for dialog and cooperation IMHO.

tomK