commons-dev mailing list archives

From Magnus ?or Torfason <mag...@handtolvur.is>
Subject RE: Codec Sandbox (was: To fork or not ...)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:00:41 GMT
Yupp, there is a lot of Base64 out there, but a lot of it is not according
to the spec, so it does not work in general cases (The requirement that a
Base64 decoder ignore everything except the 64 allowable letters is
something that is often broken).

Having a single stable source for Base64 would enable people to use it as a
black box, instead of lifting only the Base64 class from a framework
(because they aren't using the framework), fixing it, and spawning yet
another Base64 class.

Another thing that I would like to see, from the standpoint a heavy user of
XML datatypes, is a compliant ISO xxxx Date encoder/decoder.  I'm not sure
if this is an orthodox view of codecs, but I see Base64 as a
datatype<->string mapping (byte[]), and a date codec is also a
datatype<->string mapping (java.lang.Date).

If you are interested, I have an IsoDate class that does this.  It is not
fully compliant (especially in the parsing, I would like to have a class
that could parse any iso compliant representation into a date), but maybe a
start?

Regards,

Magnus