commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertdon...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Latka code formatting
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 20:10:46 GMT
On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 05:18 PM, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

<snip>

> I don't think Commons technically has a stance on code formatting.  We
> discussed it way back when, but I don't think consensus was reached; the
> Sun
> convention is a footnote in the charter, but it's not really specified as
> requirement.

i personally think that maybe (one of) jon's point(s) when he flamed my
earlier commit was that commons must abide by the general jakarta rules
(which specify the sun convention) unless we vote and document out our
differences.

>> (Yes, I'm stirring mud here - I actually fully support  Latka doing what
> the
>> subcommunity wants to do, but there has been so much talk of sticking to
> the
>> letter of the guidelines, it's an interesting question to me...)
>
> Yes it seems to make sense to do it on a sub-project basis.  If you're not
> an active committer for the code, you shouldn't really care how it is
> formatted.  :)

the problem comes when someone needs to volunteer to carry out work on
that code. the original commons-logging code had deviations from the
general jakarta coding standards. it's easier to work out whether that's
something which should be fixed or should be left if there's something
written down.

- robert